Sunday, June 1, 2014

West Virginia Picnic

 Living in the beautiful state of West Virginia, there are several state parks within driving distance!Today we traveled 50 miles to Cathedral State Park in Aurora.  It's a beautiful park with tall hemlock trees and hiking trails.  Our menu:

Roast Beef Salad with Blackberries and Gorgonzola
Watermelon

I planned to cut my watermelon with star cookie cutters, but could not find one, so I used my West Virginia cutter instead:
I thought it was quite appropriate!

I cooked the roast beef in the slow cooker last night, inspired by a recipe in Food Network Magazine. 

Roast Beef with Blackberries and Gorgonzola
(Serves 3)

1/2 Beef Roast
4 sliced Cremini Mushrooms
1 6oz. bottle White Zinfandel
1 cup water
3/4 tsp. Beef Boullion, low sodium
2 sprigs fresh Thyme
1/2 cup Blackberries
Cook in crockpot 2 hours on high, then 1 hour on low.
Slice with electric knife.

I added grated Gorgonzola Cheese, 1/4 cup cooked millet, sweet pepper, grape tomatoes to each salad.
Fresh blackberries and steamed asparagus completed the salad.  I made our signature Honey Balsamic Dressing to top this awesome salad.

The Honey Gorgonzola Fig Muffins were a tasty side.  Finished with Blackberry Fool.  (I froze these after layering the Blackberry-Yogurt blend with a failed Chocolate Cupcake I crumbed prior to freezing.)

 Such a wonderful meal and day!

1 comment:

Printfriendly