Friday, February 10, 2017

Fun with Flour Mill: Squash Pudding with Spelt Flour

This nutrient dense recipe is packed with vegetables, whole grains and antioxidants.  It tastes like pumpkin pie.  I'm eating mine for breakfast with yogurt and a glass of milk.  Combined with the eggs in the pudding. . . my ideal protein is upped.  The original recipe is inspired by Saveur.  Knowing that I haven't been able to make a caramel sauce and keep the added sugars where I like-I eliminated the sauce.  Adding the enthusiasm I have with my new flour mill, I ground spelt grain for most of the flour!  

Squash Pudding with Spelt Flour

(12 Servings)

Cook squash in water over medium high heat until tender, about 15 minutes.
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut in 1 inch chunks
Drain and cool slightly.  Puree in a food processor.

In bowl of electric mixer, beat eggs and syrup.
3 eggs
3 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
1 3/4 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Alternately add part of dry, then juice and squash mixture to the mixing bowl.
3 tablespoon apple juice
3 cups butternut squash puree
Mix just until blended.

Pour batter into a greased 7 inch springform pan.  Bake at 350 F. for approximately 45 minutes, until a pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Remove from pan.  Cool.  I stored mine in the refrigerator and microwaved by the serving for about 45 seconds prior to eating.

Garnish with yogurt, maple syrup, pecans and oranges.  

1 cup spelt grain made 1 3/4 cup of spelt flour.

  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly