Sunday, May 25, 2014

Picnic in the Park

This solemn patriotic weekend at the beginning of summer deserves a special red, white and blue picnic in the park.  We packed a cold meal, making a few preparations yesterday and a few more this morning.  Here's my menu:

Salmon with Pineapple Mandarin Salsa
Sesame Quinoa Salad
Strawberry Cream Pie Parfaits
Grapes

The Salmon recipe is a signature Salad we make at my Healthy Café.  The original recipe was inspired by Southern Living magazine.  I baked the Salmon last night, sprinkling with a little sesame oil and lemon juice.  I made a simple salsa with Tropical Fruit I had open, adding a little soy sauce to the juice.  I topped that with cut grape tomatoes with snips of fresh basil.

   
The Honey Balsamic Dressing is another signature recipe we serve at work.

Honey Balsamic Dressing
(Serves 4)
1 Clove Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. Honey
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Water
1 Tbsp. Fresh Chopped Parsley
1/8 tsp. Dry Mustard

 I cooked the multicolored quinoa this morning adding 1 Tbsp. sesame oil to the water.  After cooking, I added diced red pepper and celery.  Chilled and served in a radicchio leaf.

The Strawberry Cream Pie Parfait recipe is featured in this month's issue of Clean Eating Magazine.  I baked the crumb pieces last night and assembled the parfaits this morning.  I love that the recipe features ricotta cheese as it's very hard for me to use a whole container of it (it was also an ingredient in the Squash Casserole I made Friday).

Crumb Crust
(Serves 3)
1/2 Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
2 Tbsp. Almond Flour
Dash Salt
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 1/2 tsp. Honey
1 Tbsp. Cold Water
Mix in mini food processor.  Pat into bottom of 7 inch pizza pan.  Bake 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool and break into pieces to store in Ziploc bags until ready to assemble.

Cream Filling
(Serves 2)
1/2 cup Part Skim Ricotta
2 tsp. Honey
Mix.

To assemble layer in parfait dishes:
2 Tbsp. Crumbs
2 Tbsp. Cream Filling
2 Tbsp. Sliced Strawberries
Repeat.

Paper plates are not in my cupboards, so I packed the red, white & blue table settings to accent our fun meal:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly