Thursday, December 20, 2018

Book Review: Breakfast-the Best Meal of the Day

"Get your spatula out and stay in your kitchen.  Say no to brunch lines and oat bars-you'll realize how exciting breakfast can be!"  I am one who loves to eat breakfast food for any meal of the day.  And I agree that breakfast food is economical.  "When you're broke, breakfast is hot, buttered hope." 

This cook, by the editors of Extra Crispy, has lots of recipes, 100 photos and great graphics.  I enjoy the history of foods ("Thank goats for coffee").  There are many cooking and preparation tips.  (The temperature of water to poach eggs is between 160 and 180 F.).  
I'm one who knows that breakfast food can be made with healthy ingredients.  This book features many meals with eggs.  The book is inclusive of recipes with vegetables, fruit and dairy.  There are even some with whole grains.

My recipe testing included:

 Breakfast Strudel
(Mine has unsweetened applesauce and part-skim ricotta cheese)

Granola Coffeecake
(Mine made in individual bundt pans with part whole wheat flour)  

Green Shakshuka
(I enjoy "cleaning out the crisper" of assorted green vegetables)

Pot Sticker Huevos Ranchero  
(This was my favorite-my dumpling is filled with mashed cooked pinto beans, 
chili powder and cheddar-brushed with egg and baked, not fried.  I was out of 
tomatoes, yet found plenty of vegetables to saute and finish with an egg) 

Texas Red Chili with Egg
(Each serving of ours has the equivalent of 1/2 sirloin steak, made with sweet peppers and chili powder instead of hot peppers. That's 1/2 Khachapuri bread on the side)
Khachapuri
(This delightful boat shaped bread is filled and topped with a ricotta and blended cheese mix, partially baked, then finished with a baked egg). 
Fruit Mimosa
(Fresh sliced fruit with a mix of wine or liquor and fruit juice)
      Cornmeal Pancakes
(I was out of maple syrup, but the mascarpone, applesauce 
and strawberries suited me just fine)

 Thank you Meredith Publishing for the complimentary review copy.  The above post and pictures are my own.  I received no other compensation for this review, other than the pleasure of an enjoyable read and eating experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly