Sunday, March 29, 2020

Plan Seasonal Meals with Ideas from Magazines

Every weekend I plan Monday-Sunday's menu. I did it for a living at work and a smaller one for our family. Now retired, I look for different recipes to try at home. I keep a file of many recipes on my blog for the ones I will make again and some I just want to remember the time and place.

While I have my framework for planning, and I check my inventory to use items on hand-I use current magazines for seasonal ideas. As I flip through the magazines, I keep a post it note of recipes we might like. The current magazines often use seasonal product now available in our stores.

Today's picnic menu includes Asparagus Soup (idea from Food Network), Pimiento Cheese Deviled Eggs (from Eating Well) and Sourdough Onion Cornbread. For the onion bread, I marked a recipe for Onion Biscuits, but instead used my own successful recipe for Sourdough Whole Grain Cornbread, substituting onion for the red peppers and yogurt for the buttermilk.  

For the "Cream of Asparagus Soup" , I did not add the cream (or any dairy products) because I wanted to get the soup really hot (boiling) to transport on our picnic. Dairy products probably would have curdled. 

I liked this recipe as I had much less waste than I do when preparing other dishes with asparagus.  (The asparagus is trimmed, cooked and blended so the fibrous parts are eatable!)

Asparagus Soup 

(Serves 2)

Saute onion and garlic in buttery spread for 5 minutes.
1/3 cup sweet onion, diced
2 garlic gloves, minces
1 tablespoon buttery spread

 Add asparagus, broth and salt. Simmer 8 minutes.
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut in pieces
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt

Serve with fresh chives.

To transport, I first heat a soup thermos by pouring boiling water into it and tightening the lid. When soup is hot, empty the thermos and fill with the soup. The soup stays hot for 2 hours.

Our picnic today was at Oglebay Park in Wheeling West Virginia where it was easy to practice social distancing and we got some vital rays.  

 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly