Sunday, May 17, 2015

Fowl Weather Picnic (with a Chocolate Cobbler)

The gentle rain and a shelter by a lake was a fine place for a Sunday picnic.  We watched the birds on the lake while we dined on a menu featuring:

Herb Stuffed Chicken Breast
Fresh Green Bean, Tomato & Feta Salad
Millet with Broccoli
Chocolate Fruit Cobbler

I often pound and stuff a raw chicken breast, then roll and bake.  After baking, I slice little rounds with an electric knife.  You can pound the herbs right into the breast before rolling.  My tutorial is here.   I stuffed this one with onion, celery with leaves and parsley.  I rolled it in ground walnuts before baking.

That's a small portion of millet I cooked with broccoli and low sodium chicken base to add a whole grain and garnish the plate.

For the green bean salad, I simply sauteed the grape tomato halves in olive oil with minced garlic, cooked the fresh green beans, mixed in fresh basil, then added local feta cheese at table side.

The cobbler recipe was delicious, inspired by Rachael Ray.  I used the fruit on hand and bought seedless grapes for only $.99 a pound.  Here's my version:

Chocolate Fruit Cobbler

(Serves 8-10)

Mix filling in a bowl:
2 pounds of fresh fruit
I quartered strawberries, halved grapes and blackberries.
Add:
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, non-alkalized 
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla 
Fill a baking dish sprayed with Pam with the fruit-cocoa mixture.    

Make drop biscuits:
Mix dry ingredients:
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Stir in milk:
3/4 cup skim milk

Drop by 2 tablespoon dippers onto top of cobbler.

Bake at 400 F. for 35 minutes.

My topping for the picnic was 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt with 1 teaspoon honey. At home, one can serve with whipped topping or ice cream.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly