Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Plumstastic

The Black Amber Plums may just be my favorite fruit, and they're only in season for a few weeks. When we make the 160 mile trip to Thurmont, Maryland in August to buy the fresh picked fruit, I buy the biggest size basket. That means I can enjoy as much whole fruit as I desire, with plenty more for desserts and smoothies. First, let me share my go to recipe for fruit sauce:

Fruit Sauce

(1 1/2 cups) 

Combine fruit, sugar and juice in saucepan and cook over medium low heat for 5-10 minutes.
2 cups diced fruit or berries
2 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
 
Off heat, combine cornstarch and cold water.
2 tablespoon non-GMO cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
Slowly add to saucepan and cook only until thickened. 
 
I've used this sauce many times as a pie filling when I make my sourdough starter crust. 

Fruit Smoothie

(1 serving)

Combine all ingredients in blender and pulse until mixed.
1/4 cup non-fat plain yogurt
1 plum, diced
1/4 cup fruit sauce
1/2 banana

I try to limit the total added sugar I eat daily, and keep it at the American Heart Association's limit of 24 grams (for women-it's more for men and less for children). Thus I aim to keep my desserts and snack foods to 2 teaspoons of added sugar per serving (that's about 8 grams of added sugar). That's a little tart for some. Added sugar includes granulated, brown, confectioners, honey, maple syrup and any syrups (like molasses, agave, rice syrup).

Plum Ricotta Cake

(Serves 12)

Mix flour and sugar.
1/2 cup semolina flour
1/4 cup sugar
 
Heat milk, zest, spices and butter to 180 F. 
2 cup 1 1/2 tablespoon skim milk
4 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon orange zest
3/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 teaspoon butter
Off heat, slowly stir in semolina sugar mixture. Return to heat for 3-5 minutes.
 
Beat eggs. Add cheese, juice, vanilla and beat.
1 cup 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese, part skim
3 eggs
4 teaspoon orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Add 1/3 semolina milk mixture and mix until incorporated. Add remaining semolina milk mix in 2 additions and mix until smooth, 3-5 minutes.
 
Pour batter into greased 9 inch springform pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for 50-60 minutes. Leave the pan on the sheet and cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of springform pan. Unlock pan and cool 1 1/2 hours. Refrigerate overnight.
 
Remove from pan. Serve with fruit sauce. 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly