Monday, May 16, 2016

Overnight Oats

For years I ate oatmeal most mornings before heading out to work.  When I saw the recipes for "overnight" oatmeal, I had to smile. . . as my old fashion oatmeal took just 1 minute and 15 seconds to make in the microwave.  But I gave this one a try.

Steel cut oats (the "quick" kind) is what I have on hand.  Since today was grocery day, I did not have a lot of milk on hand.  So I combined the oats with yogurt and the other ingredients and refrigerated overnight.

While I'm a fan of breakfast parfaits, often made with yogurt, I did not want a cold dish on this unusually cold morning.  So I heated the oat-yogurt mix for just 30 seconds in the microwave, added the toppings and enjoyed.  This was delicious!

The recipe was inspired by Better Homes and Gardens.

Orange Maple Overnight Oats

(2 Servings)

Combine yogurt, oats, extract, zest and maple syrup.
Cover; chill overnight. 
1 cup Greek yogurt, plain, non-fat
1/2 cup "quick" steel cut oats
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 mandarin orange, zested
2 teaspoon maple syrup

If preferred, heat oat mixture slightly.  Add toppings.
1/3 cup strawberries, sliced
1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut 
2 tablespoon pecan halves


   

 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good~I love steel cut oats. I cook them in a small crock pot over night and they are ready to go in the morning. Makes 3 portions so the rest in the fridge for the next two days :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly