Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Cider Meal Rules!

Mulled Cider Flank Steak and Cider Poached Apples might violate the rules of meal planning, but you won't convince Bob and I!  What a meal!  The entree recipe from Lauras Lean Beef was followed almost to the "T":

Mulled Cider Flank Steak
(Serves 4)

1# Beef Flank Steak
3/4 cup Apple Cider
1/4 cup Vinegar (the recipe calls for cider vinegar, which I'm out of, so I used Balsamic Vinegar)
Dash Cloves
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Grated Fresh Ginger
1/4 tsp. Cardamom
Dash Allspice
Dash Nutmeg
2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1/2 Lemon, sliced in rounds
1/2 Leak, diced
1 large Carrot, peeled and sliced in rounds
4-6 small Potatoes, scrubbed and sliced in rounds

Whisk together cider, vinegar, spices and brown sugar.  Add lemon rounds, squeezing lightly to release juices.  Pour this marinade over flank steak and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or overnight.  When ready to cook, heat oven to 425 degrees.  Place onion, carrots and potatoes in deep skillet.  Pour marinade over vegetables and place flank steak on top.  Bring to a boil.  Place pan in hot oven.  Roast for 45 minutes.  Slice meat across the grain to serve.  

Serve with juices, which are so good!

I'm using my WVU apples in this tasty Cider Poached Apples.  The recipe is from Food Network Magazine, and I posted this previously.  I purchase the little anise stars from Mountain People's Co-op, where I can buy 2 or 3.  The anise makes the recipe.

I've tried many of the apple a day recipes in the October issue of Food Network Magazine and they've all been great.  WVU's apples will be on sale till almost Thanksgiving, so I'll be trying even more!   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly