Sunday, May 24, 2015

Red, White & Blue Parfait

We picnicked today at Holly River State Park in Webster County, West Virginia.  Our meal was delicious and nutritious, despite the fact I forgot the salad greens!  We still had 4 fruits & vegetables, lean meat, whole grain and low fat dairy, though the main plate wasn't picture perfect!  Here's the recipe I created for the dessert:

Red, White & Blue Parfait

(Serves 2)

Red Layer
1/4 cup Greek yogurt, plain, nonfat
1 teaspoon sugar
4 strawberries, destemmed
Puree in mini food processor.

White Layer
1/4 cup Greek yogurt, plain, nonfat
1 teaspoon honey

Cranberries
I still have a bag of frozen, fresh cranberries, so I thawed 1/2 cup and simmered for 15 minutes with 2 teaspoons of sugar.  For these parfaits, I only needed 2 tablespoons of the sweetened cooked cranberries.

Layers for each parfait:
1 tablespoon fresh blueberries
1/4 red yogurt
1/4 white yogurt
1 tablespoon sweetened cooked cranberries
1 fresh strawberry, destemmed, quartered and sliced
1 tablespoon fresh blueberries
1/4 red yogurt
1/4 white yogurt
1 fresh strawberry, destemmed, quartered and sliced 
1 tablespoon fresh blueberries
Fresh strawberry half (garnish)   

This is the plate you have to imagine, since I forgot the greens. The picture is from last night's post, when I made the salad base.   I did remember to take the cooked farro and chickpeas.  I added sliced flank steak, which I roasted last night, and feta cheese.  The flank steak was from a local farmer, Working H Farms.   I froze half of the flank steak to use later.  Here's how I cooked it:

Marinade for Baked Flank Steak

(Serves 6)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon honey
Fresh ground pepper

Cover flank steak with marinade.  Wrap in foil and bake at 350F for 1 hour.  Cool on rack.  Slice thin with electric knife.

 We had plenty to eat and picked a perfect spot by the creek.  Another great picnic!  This one was 100 miles from home.



   
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly