Thursday, May 21, 2015

English Muffins, Hummingbird Food & more add-ons!

When I saw the detailed instructions (with photos) in Fine Cooking Magazine with the technique for making English Muffins, I knew I'd have make them again.  Nearly 40 years ago, I made English Muffins routinely.  Somewhere I have the "cutter" designed for them.  I'm not going to post the recipe yet, as I still have to work on this. . . be sure and check the link as the instructions are very good!


The corn meal I used for dusting was purchased from Hawthorne Valley Farms and milled at Blaker's Mill in Weston, West Virginia.  I purchased it at Saturday's Morgantown Farmers Market.


My meals are not always photo ready.  This is our dinner from last night featuring Curried Chicken & Apples with Persian-Style Carrots & Black Eyed Peas.  Our grapefruit halves were grilled in orange juice and honey, then sprinkled with brown sugar.   I really liked the spice mix for the carrot-pea mixture.  I purchased a second coffee mill to grind my spices and am getting my use out of it!  Here is the mix:

Persian Spice Mix

(3 recipes)

Grind together in spice mill:
1 tablespoon Lavender Pods
1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
3 cardamom seeds

Add:
Dash cinnamon
Fresh ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

I'm posting the recipe for Hummingbird Food as I always seem to have to look it up.  My beautiful little birds are back for the season and that makes me happy.

Hummingbird Food

(Fills 2 feeders)

In a large saucepan, stir sugar into water.
1 quart water
1 cup sugar
Bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
Cool.

Add red food coloring.  
Empty any old food, rinse and fill feeders. Refrigerate any leftovers. 
Replace mixture once a week.

  
    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly