Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Terrific Trio

Steak Pinwheels, Picnic Caviar and Masala Gobi was a menu with interesting spices, textures and ingredients.  The Masala Gobi recipe was posted previously.  The small orange cauliflower purchased locally at the Farmers Market has Vitamin A & Vitamin C.  The Picnic Caviar was inspired by Vegetarian Times.  I marinated the black eyed peas with herbs and a vinaigrette this morning and bought the corn for the "caviar" fresh picked this afternoon.  (I cooked the ear of corn, cut it off the cob and added to the salad about an hour before dinner.)

Klotz's Corn and Pumpkin Store is located on Friendsville Road in Maryland.

The Steak Pinwheel recipe was inspired by Fine Cooking Magazine. I did not grill the steak, but baked it while I cooked the Masala Gobi.  When I saw the recipe, I thought it would be perfect with the sirloin tip steak cut carne asada style I'd already purchased and froze.  The 8 ounce raw steak was thin and ready to fill and roll.  I did not have to pound it.  I filled the steak with herbs and cheese this morning, rolled, covered in foil and refrigerated- ready to put in the oven when I returned home this evening!  Here's how I made it:

Steak Pinwheels

(Serves 2)

1-8 ounce sirloin tip steak, cut thinly carne asada style
2 ounce goat cheese
1/3 cup celery leaves and thin stalks, diced
1 fennel stalk with 2 tablespoon bulb, diced
2 tablespoon fresh oregano, snipped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, snipped
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, snipped
Lay the steak flat.  Cover up to within 1 inch from outer edges with cheese and herbs.  Roll from the longest side.  Place seam down in foil and cover.

Bake at 325 F. for 30 minutes.  Slice thinly with an electric knife.

As promised, I'll post the Peach Rhubarb Crisp recipe soon!
     

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon every day. It's always useful to read through articles from other authors and practice something from other sites.
    trio bistro

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly