Sunday, February 22, 2015

Kitchen Sink Porridge

Snowy Sunday morning was a good day to try a new multigrain medley.  Minute Brand Multi-Grain Medley carries the whole grain stamp and is made with brown rice, red rice, wild rice and quinoa.  That's the entire ingredients label.  What I liked the most is that the 3 rices were precooked.  Wild rice seems to take me forever to cook.  Besides, the suggested recipe advertized in Food Network Magazine is similar to my daily weekday breakfast, though mine has oatmeal as the base cereal.  The caloires are the same-cost is 3X that of oatmeal.

Kitchen Sink Porridge 

(Serves 2)

Heat 1 bag of multi-grain medley with water or juice.  (I cooked mine in orange juice. . . next time I'll use water or skim milk)
1 cup water
1 bag (approximately 1 cup) multi-grain medley
Bring to a boil.  Cover;  lower heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.

Mix in:
1/2 cup Greek yogurt, non-fat, plain
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins
1 tablespoon walnuts
1 tablespoon pecans
1 tablespoon hempseed meal
1 tablespoon chia seeds

This is why I called this the kitchen sink. . . as any nuts, dried fruit or seeds would work.

And since my cupboards are full of various whole grains. . . the possibilities are endless!
 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly