Saturday, April 25, 2015

Grits No Gravy & Tip # 7 for Meal Planning

The recipe from Cape Fear Nutrition was for Polenta, but I used my Palmetto Farms stone ground grits instead.  This took less than 30 minutes to make and was very satisfying!  

Creamy Grits with Almonds & Fruit

(Serves 1)

Bring milk to a simmer in a non-stick pan.  Stir in grits.
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup stone ground grits
Lower heat and cook until thick.  This took about 15 minutes.
Stir in honey before serving:
3/4 teaspoon honey

Top with yogurt mixture:
2 tablespoons Greek Yogurt, plain, nonfat
3/4 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon orange zest

Sprinkle with fruit and nuts:
2 tablespoons toasted almonds
1/3 cup berries

Tip #7 for Meal Planning:  Eat high quality protein at breakfast.
 
The recipes called for cooking the grain in water.  To increase the protein, I cooked mine in milk.  I had to be careful not to scorch or curdle the milk, so I kept it cooking at a low temperature and stirred frequently.

My cup of drinking milk, plus the cup of cooking milk brought the high quality protein to 16 grams.  Adding the 2 tablespoons of Greek Yogurt brought it up to 20 grams.  Now I can work hard (house cleaning day!) for several hours before eating again.

Enjoy your day!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly