Sunday, April 19, 2015

Curds and the Way I Plan Menus

Recently retired from my job in Healthcare where I planned menus for thousands, I'd like to share my tips for planning healthy meals at home.  First, here's Friday's breakfast for Ruby Red Grapefruit Curd over thin pancakes.  The recipe is from Rachael Ray

Ruby Red Grapefruit Curd

(Serves 2)

In saucepan, whisk juice, zest, sugar, yolk, cornstarch and water over medium heat until thickened.  Boil, whisking, 1 minute.
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons, 2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
1 teaspoon grapefruit zest
2/3 teaspoon cornstarch
2 2/3 teaspoons water

Remove from heat.  Stir in buttery spread.  Strain through sieve.
1 1/3 teaspoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread

Thin Pancakes

(Makes 6)

Mix melted buttery spread with milk.  Beat in egg.
1 1/2 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread
1/2 cup skim milk
1 egg

Stir in baking powder and flour.
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup flour

Pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto heated griddle.  Cover and bake on one side.  Flip and finish baking on the other side.

Garnish with confectioners sugar.



Now for my #1 Tip for Meal Planning:

Today I sort through my recipes and pick one for each protein source.  I plan a grocery list, then tomorrow morning I'll shop.  First at Aldis, where I can buy items less expensive than the regular grocery store.  I'm not sure what produce I'll find there, so I'll buy what looks good, then plan the rest of the menu after shopping. The first grocery stop takes 1/2 an hour, then I'll stop at Giant Eagle to buy the rest of my list. 

I'll share more of my Top 10 Tips throughout the week!



  

          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly