Sunday, May 18, 2014

Ratatouille, Turkey Italian Sausage & Oat Bran Dinner Rolls

Tonight's dinner features more of the fresh veggies I included in last night's meal and a small serving of Italian Sausage.  I'm not much for using processed foods, but our servings are small.  I cooked one Turkey Italian Sausage and split between the two of us, so we got the sweet flavor without a large amount of sodium.  The recipe was inspired by one in Clean Eating Magazine, June issue, where they used roasted pork.  Here's my adaptation:

 Ratatouille with Turkey Italian Sausage
(Serves 2)

1/3 small Zucchini, sliced
1/3 small Yellow Squash, sliced
1 Sweet Orange Pepper, sliced
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1/4 cup Yellow Onion, sliced
1 tsp. Fresh Oregano
1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
Sautee in olive oil.

1 cup Diced Tomatoes, canned without salt
1/2 cup Cooked Northern Beans (I use the Hanover Brand, cooked without salt, frozen)
1/4 tsp. Fennel
1 1/2 tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp. Fresh Basil
Add to pan.  Heat and mix with other ingredients.

1-2 oz. Turkey Sweet Italian Sausage, skin removed, sliced
Move vegetables to one side of pan.  Brown and cook, turning as needed.

These Oat Bran Dinner Rolls were made with a Rye Starter I mixed Friday night.  The original recipe did not include the Starter Recipe, so I searched the internet for one:

Rye Sourdough Starter
1/2 cup Rye Flour
7 Tbsp. warm Water
1/8 tsp. Dry Yeast

Mix in a large crock.  Let set for 10 minutes.  Cover and set in a warm place for 24 hours.  The recipe is from Bitter Baker.  I portioned the dough into 1/4 cup (#16 scoop) portions.  If I make this recipe again, I'll use a smaller springform pan and brush the dough with egg white prior to baking.  I was able to purchase most of the ingredients in amounts for 1 recipe at Mountain People's Co-op  (the recipe calls for numerous spices, bran and flour). Oat Bran was not sold in bulk and I had to buy a package.  So I'll have to find another recipe using that!  The finished product was a little doughy in the middle, so we sliced in half and toasted prior to eating.  Still yummy!

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Printfriendly