Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Eating Go Bragh

I made a day of eating Irish or green foods-not unusual for my household!  The Green Smoothie was inspired by Nutrition Blog Network.  Mine has Greek yogurt, lemon juice and zest, mango, pineapple with juice, spinach and mint.  Next time I thing I'll add some dark chocolate!

For breakfast I made Irish Soda Bread, also inspired by the Network.  Remember the Pasta Lasagna Squares I made yesterday?  That recipe called for 9 egg yolks.  So this morning I made souffle with the egg whites, skim milk, cheddar cheese and sauteed vegetables.  It was light and tasty!

Flounder with Spinach Sauce was for dinner.  My sauce is actually under the fillet.  I think I've decided I do need an immersion blender, as neither my mini food processor nor blender did the trick.

Here's recipes:

Irish Soda Bread

(Serves 3)

In a food processor, mix dry ingredients:  
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Dash salt

Cut in buttery spread.
2 teaspoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread

Add liquids.
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons skim milk
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Knead on a floured surface.  Roll into a round shape.  Place in individual iron skillet.  Brush with melted buttery spread.
1 teaspoon Earth Balance Buttery Spread

Cut an "X" in the top of the dough round.  Bake at 400 F for 30 minutes.

Flounder with Spinach Sauce

(Serves 2)

Spinach Sauce

Saute garlic and onion in olive oil.
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons onion, diced
1 teaspoon olive oil

Add spinach and parsley.
2 cups fresh spinach, stems removed
1/4 cup fresh parsley, stems removed

Add chicken broth.
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth

Stir in lemon juice.
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice 

Blend and keep warm.

Fish and Vegetables

Saute garlic in oil.
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon canola oil

Add sliced zucchini and saute.
1 medium zucchini, sliced in rounds

Add flounder fillets.
2-3 ounce fillets

Sprinkle with Mrs. Dash.

Turn to brown on both sides, stirring squash so it does not stick.

Add cooked carrot slices.
1 carrot, sliced in coins

Add lemon quarters and arugula.
1 lemon, quartered
1/2 cup arugula

Heat a few more minutes.  Plate with spinach sauce.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly