Sunday, March 29, 2015

Golden Adventure

Chicken Berebere and Hot Honey Pasta with Beets: not sure which I liked more, the food or the leafy placemats!

The recipe for the Ethiopian Chicken Dish was inspired by Food and Nutrition Magazine.  Since I'd already purchased a small amount of the berebere spice mix from the Mountain People's Co-op, I did not make my own doro.  I do think I'd like to purchase a spice mill so I can make my own spice mix with whole spices.

Chicken Berebere

(Serves 4)

Marinate chicken in lime juice.
4 chicken thighs
Juice from 1 lime
Discard juice just prior to cooking chicken. 

Saute onions and garlic in buttery spread.
1/3 cup onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread
Since I needed these for the side dish too, I removed 1/2 of the sauteed onion-garlic mixture for it.

Add ginger and spice mix.
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 tablespoon berebere spice mix

Brown chicken things in pan on both sides.  Add a little water and simmer chicken, covered until internal temperature reaches 165 F.

The side dish was inspired by Better Homes and Gardens.

Hot Honey Pasta and Beets

(Serves 4)

Cook beets in water until tender.
4 golden beets, peeled and quartered

Add pasta.
I cooked jumbo shells I had left in a box and sliced them in smaller pieces after cooking.
Cook for 15 more minutes.

Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of liquid.

Return pasta and beets to pan.

Mix honey and lemon juice.
Add honey, lemon juice mixture and reserved liquid to pan. 
Add red peppers.
2 mini sweet peppers, sliced in rings
Sprinkle with dill.
1/2 teaspoon dill

Garnish with toasted walnuts.
2 tablespoons toasted walnuts

 
       

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly