Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Use Your Noodle Converting Recipes

Recipes in cookbooks and magazines provide continual inspiration to me when planning my meals for the week.  Tonight I chose this classic dish, Tuna Noodle Casserole, guided by Ree's Pioneer Woman Cookbook.   I love this cookbook with photos to guide each step in the process.  

To fit in my healthy meal format, I planned the fat content for the meal to allow for 1-2 servings per meal.

Original Recipe = 4 tablespoon butter
My recipe = 2 tablespoon vegan buttery spread
Original Recipe - Whole Milk
My Recipe - Skim Milk

I increased the amount and variety of vegetables in the dish.

Original Recipe - 3 ounces mushrooms
My recipe - Added 1/3 cup carrots and 3/4 cup broccoli

I liked that the original recipe called for albacore tuna canned in water in small (1 1/2 ounce) portions.  I liked the suggestion to substitute broth for half the milk in the recipe.  Since I drink skim milk with my meals, I made the 1/2 broth substitute.

Tuna Noodle Casserole

(Serves 4)

Saute shallots, celery and carrots in buttery spread 4 minutes.
1 tablespoon Earth Balance Buttery Spread
3 tablespoon shallots, diced
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/2 carrot, peeled and diced

Add mushrooms and broccoli.  Saute 3 minutes more.
3 ounces mushrooms, diced
3/4 cup broccoli flowers, chopped

Sprinkle in flour.  Stir to coat vegetables.  Cook 1 minute.
2 tablespoon whole wheat pastry flour

Add milk, wine and broth.  Cook until thick, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
3/4 cup skim milk
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine

Season with salt and pepper.
1/8 teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper

Add drained tuna.
1-6 ounce can albacore tuna, packed in water, drained

Stir in drained noodles.
4 1/2 ounce egg noodles, cooked al dente, drained

Saute bread crumbs in buttery spread for a few minutes until lightly browned.
1 tablespoon Earth Balance Buttery Spread
5 tablespoon whole grain cornbread crumbs

Pour noodle mix into baking dishes greased with an olive oil spray.  (I used 2 small baking dishes).  Bake at 400 F. for 15 minutes.

We have half of the above recipe leftover to eat for lunch or breakfast in the next few days.  I did not use whole wheat noodles tonight, as I had 3 servings of whole grains with my other meals and snacks today.  (1/2 cup oats for breakfast, 1 whole grain cracker with lunch and 1 serving whole grain pumpkin bread for dessert).

We rounded out our meal with red grapefruit half and purple grapes.

  
 

 
 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly