Thursday, August 11, 2016

Farmers Market Challenge: Eggplant


When my farmer market friend handed me a couple of her home grown eggplants and said "make something for me and bring it back" I happily took on the challenge. Sudawan "Sue" Richardson (from Richardson's Farm) is originally from Thailand, where she was a school teacher.  Her farm is a 5-acre plot near Fairmont, West Virginia.  It  is covered in a large variety of produce from a few fruit trees, a berry patch, herb garden, rows upon rows of tomatoes and peppers, and a large variety of other veggies that can be found at her market table. Sue happily invites people to visit the farm for events, tours, or if you have a desire to pick produce.  Sue has mentored many a university student in the few years I have known her.

The recipe I made was in a free magazine I picked up at Krogers Grocery Store.  I don't stock spicy peppers at home, so my product has sweet peppers.  While I'm a good fat advocate (this recipe has extra virgin olive oil and anchovy fillets) I always cut down on the amount.  The student at Sue's table enjoyed the dip!  So I repeated the recipe at home and enjoyed a platter for breakfast!


Spicy Eggplant Dip

(Serves 3-about 1/2 cup each)

Pierce eggplants several times with fork.  Roast on foil lined baking sheet at 450 for 40 minutes, turning frequently.
2 medium eggplants (about 8 ounce each) 
Cool roasted eggplant.  Peel and dice.



Mix paste, vinegar, paprika and Mrs. Dash.
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/3 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash

Saute onion and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring.  Add eggplant, tomato paste mixture, peppers and anchovies.  Cook 10 minutes.
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/3 cup onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup peppers, diced
2 canned anchovy fillets, chopped

Garnish with chopped cilantro.
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped 



 
 


1 comment:

  1. This one seems really interesting to me. You can also add soup or juices along with it as they are actually very healthy for everyone. They simply enhances your healthy appetite as eating much can also be dangerous. You can go for the Acai Berry Juice as it is also full of anti-oxidants and antibiotics that can enhance your immunity and energy levels. It can also help you in maintaining normal blood pressure and sugar that are necessary for good health.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly