Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Grain Bowls Made Easy

My cupboards are stocked with a large variety of grains, beans, flours, nuts and dried fruit just as my refrigerator is stocked with many colorful fresh vegetables.  My husband and I are petite senior citizens-while active, we're not joggers.  We only need small servings and I want as much variety in my weeks menu as possible.  That's why I love my counter-top pressure cooker that allows me to cook 1/2 cup of a grain or bean at a time.  While I still have to add 2 cups of liquid, with dried beans and grains that liquid can be drained if needed.  This counter top cooker also has a browning function!  So here's tonight's dinner, which cooked in less than an hour with very little preparation time:

Wild Rice & Lentil Bowl with Scallops

(Serves 3)

Brown celery, carrots, onions and garlic in olive oil for about 4 minutes.
1/3 cup celery diced
1/3 cup carrots, peeled and diced
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 teaspoon olive oil

Stir in wild rice, lentils and water.  Change function to cook.  Set timer for 30 minutes.  Secure lid on pressure cooker with steam valve closed.  Allow timer to run its course-this will take about 35 minutes.  Release steam valve, then remove lid.
6 tablespoon wild rice
2 tablespoon green lentils
2 cups water

Stir in spinach, herbs and mustard.  Cooker automatically reverts to warming function when the timer goes off.  Allow to warm for about 5 minutes.
1 1/2 cups fresh spinach
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup snipped fresh herbs (I used an oregano, chive, basil and thyme mix)
Remove rice, bean and vegetable mix from cooker.  Drain off any excess liquid, as preferred.

Turn cooker function to brown. 
Stir in fennel, peppers and buttery spread.  Add scallops.  Brown on both sides about 2 minutes each.

1/3 cup sliced fennel bulb
2 mini sweet peppers, sliced
1 tablespoon Earth Balance Buttery Spread
9 jumbo scallops (I sliced ours in half horizontally)

Serve scallop-fennel-pepper mix over rice, beans and vegetables.

 
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly