Friday, August 7, 2015

Chocolate Quinoa Bar with Breakfast

Jackie Newgent's recipe in Food & Nutrition Magazine makes fudgy nutritious energy bars.  I made mine this morning and enjoyed one for breakfast!  The serving size makes a big bar. Since I was eating this as part of my morning meal, I added Greek Yogurt and skim milk for high quality protein and strawberries for Vitamin C.  The energy bars are whole grain, with only 2 teaspoons per serving of added sugar.  The dates add much sweetness, and the seeds and oils offer good fats.  Here's how I made it:

Chocolate Quinoa Bar

(Serves 12)

Beat eggs with honey in mixing bowl.
4 eggs
1/2 cup honey (I did not have enough honey, so I substituted some molasses)

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, seed and cocoa.
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup shelled hemp seed
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Puree dates, milk, extract and oil in blender.
1 1/2 cups pitted dried dates
2/3 cup skim milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup olive oil (the recipe called for grapeseed, peanut, coconut or olive oil. . . olive oil is the only oil I have on my shelf at the moment)

Alternately add dry and liquid ingredients to mixing bowl.  Stir just until mixed.

Stir in quinoa.
1/2 cup dry quinoa

Pour batter into 9 X 13 baking pan greased with vegetable spray.

Sprinkle with ground seeds.  Bake at 325F. for 30 minutes.
2 tablespoon almonds, ground (the recipe calls for shelled hempseed, but I only had enough for the batter)

Cool in pan on rack.  Cut in 12 bars.

Happy Friday!

  

      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly