Friday, July 10, 2020

A Cupboard of Grains & a Flour Mill

I was prepared for the pandemic, with a cupboard of grains, tested recipes and my flour mill. Faced with empty grocery shelves-void of all purpose and whole wheat flour, I made Spelt Bread. 

100% Spelt Bread
 and Garbanzo Bean Bread.

Sorghum, Buckwheat Garbanzo Bean Bread
Making fewer trips to the grocery store, I used multi grains to make waffles 
Multigrain Waffles with Oat Groats, Barley, Millet & Rye
and Ezekiel Flour Cookies.

Oatmeal Coconut Ezekiel Cookies (made with 4 beans and 4 grains)
I did visit a small Caribbean grocery store (only the owner and I were inside) to buy an unusual millet and made these muffins.

Millet Muffins Filled with Cream
I used my sourdough starter discard often and made this cornbread.

Sourdough Whole Grain Cornbread
Today I tested a recipe using one of the grains I'd never ground-farro. The pasta recipe is from Doriana-a "Pasta Granny" from central Italy.  The pasta is three-fourths whole grain, yet easy to knead, roll and cut, producing a smooth glorious colored product.

Farro Pasta

(10 Servings)

300 grams farro flour
100 grams all purpose flour
4 eggs
Place eggs in bowl of electric mixer with dough hook in place. Beat eggs until mixed but not frothy. Add all purpose flour and beat at low speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl down.  Slowly add farro flour, kneading with each addition, scraping bowl down. Knead for 8-10 minutes. Dough will leave side of bowl. 
Place dough in bowl (lightly greased) with lid. Allow dough to rest 30 minutes.
Roll and cut.
I allowed my cut dough to dry by placing in a 150 degree oven for 30-45 minutes, the freezing by cut and meal.

This recipe enters my tested recipes to use again and again.    
 

1 comment:

  1. I love to visit your blog to see all the tasty possibilities, even if I leave feeling a little guilty that we don't eat healthier.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly