Thursday, October 22, 2015

Butternut Squash Flan

When I saw a recipe in Rachael Ray's magazine, I wanted to make it, yet realized the caramel sauce would not fit into to my 2 teaspoons of added sugar per serving plan.  So I sprinkled 1/4 teaspoon Turbinado sugar on the bottom of each ramekin instead.  This worked just fine!  I substituted Greek yogurt for heavy cream and, combined with eggs, produced a high quality protein product.  

Butternut Squash Flan

(Serves 4)

Roast whole squash at 350F. on a baking stone for 45 minutes. 
1 small butternut squash
Cool slightly and remove seeds.
Spoon flesh into blender. 

Combine squash, yogurt, milk, egg, egg yolk, brown sugar and vanilla in a blender.
Puree till smooth. 
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup skim or soy milk
1 egg
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon Turbinado sugar in the bottom of 4 ramekins.  I greased each ramekin with and olive oil spray.
Divide blenderized squash mixture into the ramekins.
Bake at 325 F. for 40 minutes.  Cool.

Sprinkle each with toasted pepitas before serving.

This flan makes an excellent breakfast entree.  Combined with a glass of milk, the high quality protein is perfect.  This morning I ate mine with Dietitian Debbie's Muesli.


Dietitian Debbie's Muesli

8-1/2 cup servings

Combine all grains, nuts and ginger on a baking sheet.  Bake at 350 F. for 8 minutes.  Stir and bake 8 more minutes.
1 1/3 cup oats
1 1/3 cup barley flakes

2/3 cup pepitas (I did not have enough pepitas, so I added chopped walnuts)
2/3 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup almonds, chopped
2/3 teaspoon ginger

Stir dried fruits into toasted muesli.
1/3 cup golden raisins
2/3 cup dried apricots, diced 


  Have a gorgeous fall day! 
 
   

1 comment:

Printfriendly