Thursday, August 25, 2016

Flavorful Pintos

I'm pretty sure my bean dish has done justice for the beautiful local pinto beans from my WVU Extension friend, Tom McConnell.  I volunteered to make the Baked Beans for a local benefit dinner this weekend.  While mine are not really "baked" they are delicious hot or cold.  I'm making them in 3 quart batches, which require 1-2 pound bag of his Terra Alta (WV) beans.  Here is the perfected recipe:

BBQ Beans

(3 quart)


Brown onions and garlic in olive oil.
2 1/2 cup onions, diced
Cloves from 1 garlic bulb, smashed and minced
3 tablespoon olive oil

Add dried beans and water.
1-2 pound bag dry pinto beans (This is less than 5 cups of beans)
Water to cover more than double the volume of beans (I filled my pressure cooker to the 16 cup line)
Cook until beans are soft.  (I cooked mine in a counter-top pressure cooker for 45 minutes.)


Mix cider vinegar, ketchup, smoked paprika and chili powder in a small saucepan.  Simmer for 5 minutes.
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup, no high fructose corn syrup 
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder


Add tomato paste, broth cubes, balsamic vinegar and molasses to saucepan and mix.  Turn off heat.
3 tablespoon tomato paste
4 3/4 low sodium vegetable broth cubes
3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup black strap molasses
1/4 cup flax meal 

Drain most of the water from the cooked beans.  (I kept some liquid as my beans will be served from a soup crock over a few hours and have the potential to dry out).
Stir in barbecue sauce. 





   

1 comment:

  1. Next time hubby makes his beans I will take pictures and post. Totally different. Yours look delish!!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly