Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Fragrant Farm Fresh Local Ginger

If you ever have the chance to buy fresh local ginger root-jump at it!  There is no better! The skin is thin, the flesh is tender and the taste is at it's best. I planned to candy some. When the grower told me local restaurateurs purchased several pounds, I asked what they were using it in. One burrito restaurant pickled the ginger. The other restaurant was a Thai establishment. I decided to give the pickled version a go, and I was not disappointed! I even canned a few jars when canning applesauce in the hot water bath method.

For the pickled version, I followed the recipe from the kitchin site.  (minus the optional radish) It is fantastic. In the photo above, I mixed it in the purple rice stir fry dish and also used it as a garnish.

Candied Fresh Ginger

1 cup

Peel ginger. Slice in 1/8th slices.
4 ounce fresh ginger

In a small saucepan, cover ginger in water.  Add sugar. 
1/3 cup sugar
 
Bring to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes. Add more water if necessary to keep ginger covered. Store in syrup in the refrigerator.

My favorite way of eating the ginger is to dice a slice and mix in my morning yogurt, with about 1/2 teaspoon of the syrup. This is to die for!

Of course it is delicious in desserts and muffins. For the cookies featured above, I used the Alaskan Molasses Cookie recipe from Cooking Light, substituting 3/4 cup sugar for the 1 1/4 cups and using my delicious fresh candied ginger in place of the ground. Yum-these are delicious too! 

I gave my water aerobics friend a piece of the fresh root and a small container of the candied. She ate a slice of the candied ginger outright. (Had to make your nostrils pucker!)

And I'll save a piece for when the kids are all here for Christmas. This was like an early present to me.

 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly