Monday, August 4, 2014

Meatless Monday: Chickpeas Curry & Cauliflower Brain

I love all the small unique vegetables I find at the local Farmer's Markets.  This little squash and petite cauliflower were perfect for we little senior citizens!  The Chickpea Curry dish was inspired by Food Network Magazine.  I liked it because it included okra-another vegetable I purchased from a local farmer.  I skipped the chicken, and added the interior of the squash boat.  Here's my version:

Chickpea Curry
(Serves 3)

3 Plum Tomatoes
1 Green Onion
1 inch piece Ginger, peeled
1 mini Sweet Pepper
Squash removed from the interior
1 tsp Curry Powder
Chop ingredients in mini food processor.  Heat 1 tsp. Olive Oil in non-stick pot and add tomato mixture.  Cook, stiring often, until darkened and paste-like, 10 to 12 minutes.  

Add
1 1/2 cups Water
Bring to simmer.  Add
1 cup Fresh Okra, sliced
2 Tbsp. Fresh Cilantro, chopped
Cook 5 minutes.  Add
1 cup Garbanzo Beans (I use the cooked frozen version without salt)
Heat 10 minutes.  Fill squash boat to serve.

The baked cauliflower item was featured by the Dannon Chef at the Premiere Culinary Clinic I attended in July.  It was nicknamed "Cauliflower Brain".

Cauliflower Brain
(Serves 6)

1 small Cauliflower
Cut off bottom so that cauliflower will sit flat.

Mix 
1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1 tsp. Curry Powder
Spread over top of cauliflower.  Sprinkle with
Wheat Germ
Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
Cut like a cake!

This will make a delicious accompaniment to my lunch this week! 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly