Monday, January 4, 2016

A New Year-A New Vegetable

I'm always looking for something new at the local Farmers Market and even in winter, I'm not disappointed.  This week's find was Celtuce.  

Celtuce is primarily grown for its thick stem.  It's crisp and moist with a mild flavor.  Peel the thick outer part and discard that prior to cooking or eating.  

In the spinach soup recipe by Rachael Ray, I substituted celtuce for broccoli.  I'll call my soup Spintuce instead of Spinoccoli.

Spintuce Soup

(Serves 3)

Saute shallots and garlic in buttery spread for 2 minutes.
Add potato, celtuce and thyme.  Saute 5 minutes. 
1 tablespoon Earth Balance Buttery Spread
1/4 cup shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium red potato, peeled and shredded
3/4 cup celtuce, shredded
1/2 teaspoon thyme

Stir in stock.  Bring to a boil.  Add spinach and stir until it wilts, about 3 minutes.  Blend.  (I used my blender, taking care to prevent burns)
2 cups vegetable stock
4 cups fresh spinach, stems removed

Garnish with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and crushed roasted seeds.
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoon roasted crushed pepitas

I also stir fried the celtuce in this vegetarian stir fry, where I mixed in the pumpkin seed pesto I made previously for a custom platter recipe.   

Stir-Fry Veggies & Pesto 

(Serves 2)

Stir fry vegetables in olive oil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2 cups fresh vegetables of choice
(I used peeled carrot sticks, peeled celtuce sticks, sliced mushrooms, shallots and garlic)
1 teaspoon olive oil

Add sauce, sesame oil and pesto.
1 tablespoon soy sauce, reduced sodium
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoon pesto
 
Serve over brown rice.  Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds 
2/3 cup prepared brown rice 

Have a great week!

 
 
   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly