Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Cast Iron Cookbook (Review) Does It All

It wasn't hard to pick out recipes from every chapter of Dutch Oven and Cast Iron Cooking to make at home.  I did that and tried 8 recipes in just over a week.  Since I'm cooking for two (petite) senior citizens, I made smaller batches of each recipe and cooked in 8 inch and individual cast iron skillets.  I was impressed that the whole recipe was cooked in the same skillet. Sauteing and baking, while in steps, all cooked from start to finish in the one pan! 

I liked the format of each recipe.  Ingredients, preparations, then cooking.  The cookbook featured both stove and grilling techniques.  Pictured above is the Apple Cranberry Puffed Pancake.  (I used dried cherries in place of cranberries)

Some recipes with accompanying picture gave me ideas for combining my own recipes to create a similar product.  Here's my version of the Pesto Rolls:

Fireside Lasagna was delicious.  When I discovered I was out of lasagna noodles, I used broken spaghetti-it worked just fine!  When cut, the layer of ricotta cheese and eggs creates delightful visual appeal.
 
Since I want to have handy this recipe for "Swiss" Crabmeat Bake, I'm including the specific measures I used at home for this simply delicious entree.

Crabmeat Bake

(Serves 4)

Dough 
Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl.  Stir in cheddar cheese.  Cut in buttery spread until mixture is crumbly.
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
Pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used aged white cheddar)
1 tablespoon 1 teaspoon buttery spread


In 8 inch skillet, saute onion and pepper in buttery spread until tender.  
1 tablespoon buttery spread
1 mini sweet pepper, diced
2 tablespoon onion, diced

Gradually blend in flour, dry mustard, milk and Parmigiano cheese.  Cook until cheese melts, stirring constantly.  
1 3/4 tablespoon whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used shredded Parmigiano)

Add crab and tomatoes.  Stir until mixture is hot.
8 ounce wild crabmeat
1/3 cup diced grape tomatoes
To reserved dough mixture, add remaining milk.  Stir until dough is formed.  Drop by spoonfuls over hot crab mixture, like a cobbler topping.
1/4 cup skim milk

Place skillet in a 400 F. oven and bake for 25 minutes.

I made the cheesy puffed potatoes (like Duchess potatoes) and Glazed Vegetables. Both were delicious.

Here is the Hot Fudge Cake-a very simple recipe!


The Berry Crumble was so good.  I used a mix of fresh strawberries and blackberries in ours.
Yes- we did add vanilla ice cream for dessert.  This morning, I mixed crumble with plain yogurt for a high quality protein breakfast.

Berry Crumble 

(Serves 8)

Mix oats, flour, nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon.  Cut in buttery spread.
1 1/2 cups oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cub buttery spread

Mix berries, sugar and cornstarch together and place in bottom of 8 inch skillet.
3 cups mixed berries
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon flour or non GMO cornstarch

Top berries with crumble mix.
Bake at 400 F. for 30 minutes.

As in any recipe that I make, I try to use whole grains, less added sugar, skim milk and a good fat.  (I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread in the recipes made here)  Most everything I make is the scratch version, though the cookbook gives the option of some purchased products as well.

I also enjoyed the comparison chart for enamel and "bare" iron skillets.  After reviewing the book, I can say that I will be using my cast iron skillets more often.

  Thanks Fox Chapel Publishing for the review copy!
      
  

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! This looks so yummy and mouth watering. I am a lasagne lover, dying to try this one out. Berry crumble looks great too. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly