Sunday, April 27, 2014

Five Spice Beef and Vegetables

Dinner tonight was inspired by 2 recipes in Cooking Light as I combined ingredients from both to create this tasty meal.  4 hours before eating, I defrosted 1/2 a sirloin tip roast in the microwave and placed in the crock pot on low with:
1/2 cup water
1/2 low sodium beef bullion cube
3/4 tsp. five spice powder
3 Tbsp. orange juice
1 Tbsp. lower-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. grated peeled fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
2 colorful peppers, julienne sliced
1/4 cup julienne sliced onion
1 tsp. grated tangerine peel

1 hour before eating, I removed the roast and sliced with an electric knife.  First, I sliced thinly across the grain, then again in 1/2 inch wide strips.  I returned the meat to the crock pot with fresh asparagus, cut in 2 inch pieces and sliced cremini mushrooms.

On the stove top, I steamed whole peeled baby carrots (from Evans Knob Farm in Bruceton Mills) and  then added to the crock pot.  To the carrot water on the stove top, I added 1/4 cup instant brown rice with 1/2 tsp. sesame oil, brought to a boil and simmered for 5 minutes.

The beef and vegetables is served over the rice.  We enjoyed a fresh fruit cup with strawberries and pineapple.  (Added a dollop of Dream Whip).  I toasted a slice of 7 Grain Bread from New Day Bakery and spread with Earth Balance buttery spread.  I drink a glass of skim milk with most meals.

We still have beef and vegetables for another meal.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly