Monday, June 15, 2015

At the End of the Rainbow (Meatless Monday)

Combining a meal with Fresh Fruit Crumbles and Vegetable Lasagna literally gave us 10 different fruits and vegetables in one nutrient dense meal.  

The lasagna has zucchini strips in place of noodles with layers of mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes and corn topped off with an egg-ricotta topping.  I've posted this before  This is a no fail recipe and a great way to use bits and pieces of many vegetables on hand.  I actually have 4 different summer squashes on hand and used squash I found at the international store we visited while out of town on the weekend.  

I used bits and pieces of fresh fruit I had on hand for these individual fruit crumbles.  The oven temperature was the same as the lasagna, and timing very similar.  (I removed the fruit prior to turning the oven to broil to brown the lasagna top).  I loved this crumble idea from Bon Appetit  as the fruit has a very simple graham cracker topping.  Here's how I made it:

Individual Fruit Crumbles

(Serves 6)

Mix fruit, cornstarch, sugar and vanilla seeds in a bowl.  Portion into 6 ramekin dishes, sprayed with Pam.
4 cups fresh fruit (I used a nectarine, strawberries and blueberries, cutting the nectarine and strawberries in1/2 in pieces)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
Vanilla seeds from one vanilla pod (reserve the pod for later use)

Process graham crackers, sugar, nuts and buttery spread in a food processor.  Portion over fruit in ramekins.  (about 1 tablespoon crumbs per dish)
2 graham crackers
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoon ground almonds
3 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread 

Bake at 375F for 35 minutes.

I received this touching note from a crafty on-line friend which made my day:
"We have enjoyed your meal suggestions.  My husband loves to cook and is always looking for something new.  You and your healthy cooking has helped me to eat more fruits and vegetables than ever.  Since last November 1st, I started a new eating plan.  The road has been a little bumpy, but my husband kept encouraging me not to give up.  As of this past Friday, I have officially lost 50 pounds.  I wasn't sure I would ever lose the weight, but people like you who believe so much in their work to help others is powerful and the influence is humungous."

And that's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly