Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mexican Pita with Homemade Taco Seasoning

I have 3 long days of professional conferences this week, so I did some preprep this morning for tonight's meal.  My husband was up early with me, so it was ok for me to get out the dough hook and knead some bread.  The recipe is for "Arab Bread" from an old Fleischmann's Yeast Book. I made enough dough for 3:

1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. rapid rise yeast
Mix in mixing bowl.

1 cup very warm water (125 degrees)
I use a thermometer to measure the temperature of the water.  Slowly add to dry ingredients in mixing bowl and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.  Turn mixer to low.

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
Slowly add to ingredients in mixing bowl.  Knead on low speed until dough leaves the sides of the bowl.  Let rest for 1 hour.

I sprayed the dough with Pam, placed it in a Rubbermaid container nearly twice the size, covered and placed in the refrigerator for the day.  When I got home, I removed the dough from the container, divided it in 3 pieces, covered and let rest on a floured surface for 30 minutes.

Roll each dough piece into a ball and bake on a stone in a very hot oven (425 degrees F) for 10 minutes.

My "pita pizza" is topped with seasoned ground meat, black beans (I use the Hanover Brand cooked frozen beans without salt), diced fresh tomatoes, yellow pepper and cilantro.  I made my own seasoning as the commercial packets are high in sodium.

Taco Seasoning 

2 cups Chili Powder
2/3 cup Ground Cumin
2/3 cup Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp. 2 tsp. Ground White Pepper
1 Tbsp. 1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
Mix and store in closed container.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly