Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler and Chickpea Spinach Curry

I was so happy with tonight's dessert, I'll start with the recipe inspired by Food Network Magazine for a Lattice Pie.  The two of us would not eat a whole pie, nor did I want all the fat and calories in a double crust pie, so I simply made a lattice top and skipped the bottom crust. Here's my adaptation:

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobber
(Serves 3)

Filling
2 stalks Rhubarb
2 cups quartered Strawberries
3 Tbsp. Sugar
1 Tbsp. Flour
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Lemon Juice
Trim and cut rhubarb in 1/2 in pieces.  Mix all ingredients and fill oven proof bowl sprayed with Pam.

Crust
1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
1/3 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
Dash Salt
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance Buttery Spread
1 Tbsp. Cold Milk
Pulse in mini food processor.  Roll out on floured cloth.  Cut in 1/2 inch strips.  Weave on top of bowl.  Tuck ends into filling.  Brush with cold milk.  Sprinkle with Turbinado Sugar.

Bake at 350 degrees about 45 minutes.  If necessary, turn temperature up slightly at the end to brown.

The main dish was also very tasty and quite easy.  Spinach and Chickpea Curry is a recipe from Fine Cooking Magazine.  We had smaller servings, each with 1/2 Chicken Breast on the side.  Here's my adaptation:

Spinach and Chickpea Curry
(Serves 3)

1 Garlic Clove
1 tsp. Olive Oil
1/4 cup Onion, diced
Fresh Turmeric, grated
1 1/2 tsp. Curry
1/2 tsp. Garam Masala*
1 cup Chickpeas, cooked (I use the frozen cooked Hanover brand, without salt)
1/2 can Tomatoes without salt
2 cups fresh Power Greens

Sautee garlic and onion in olive oil.  Add spices.  Add tomatoes and chickpeas.  Heat, then add greens, stirring to wilt. *I love that I can buy spices at Mountain People's Co-op in just the amount I need. 

I baked the chicken breast yesterday, sliced it thinly with an electric knife and heated slightly.  This was an awesome, satisfying meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly