Thursday, May 1, 2014

Brownie Hearts with Strawberries

Thursday is leftover night at our house when we have a smorgasbord of different foods I've made throughout the week.  I made 6 of these Brownie Hearts Tuesday and we finished those tonight.  The recipe is from California Strawberries (Source: Tutti Colci) and here is my modified version:

1/4 cup melted Earth Balance Buttery Spread
2 Tbsp. 2 tsp. sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
6 Tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour

Beat egg and sugar at medium speed for several minutes.  In a separate bowl, mix cocoa and flour.  Add melted Earth Balance and vanilla to mixing bowl.  Stir in dry ingredients.

Divide batter into heart shaped individual pans or molds sprayed with Pam.  (I have a  pan for 6 heart cupcakes.)  Press dough to fill base of pans.  Bake at 325 degrees for 14 minutes.

Wash and dice fresh strawberries.  Plate and top with a brownie heart.  Sprinkle brownie with confectioners sugar and add a dollop of whipped cream.

I cut the original amount of added sugar to 1 tsp. per portion.  I only used 100% unsweetened cacao (not Dutch processed).  Earthy Balance Spread is non-GMO with 0g trans fat and an excellent source of ALA Omega-3. I usually use 1/2 all purpose and 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour, but this recipe was just fine with all whole wheat.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day (and pay day!) and the refrigerator is now officially clean!

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12203847/?claim=7gub5z8fetz">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

2 comments:

  1. That looks really yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love how you always adjust the recipe to lower sugar:):) and no, not my mom. Called photo booth from Darkroom Door.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly