Saturday, March 21, 2015

Mexican Magic

Homemade tortillas, farmer's market pea shoots and my own taco seasoning brought our homemade tacos to a new level-top notch!  Bob cooked the ground beef while I made the tortillas.  I made the topping tray with corn, black beans, tomatoes, mini sweet peppers, cilantro and pea shoots while the tortilla dough "rested".  As state in the recipe from the current issue of Food and Nutrition Magazine, I kept the tortillas warm between clean dry dish cloths while cooking the rest. 

Flour Tortillas 

(Makes 7)

Mix flours and salt in a mixing bowl.
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Slowly add oils and water.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup warm (125F) water

With dough hook in place, mix until a ball is formed and dough leaves the side of the bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 15 minutes.

Roll dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper sprinkled with corn meal.  I cut mine with a 4 inch round English Muffin cutter, then rolled each to a 5 inch round.  Cook in individual (6 inch) iron skillets, 1 minute per side.

Taco Seasoning

2 cups Chili Powder
2/3 cup Ground Cumin
2/3 cup Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp. 2 tsp. Ground White Pepper
1 Tbsp. 1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
Mix and store in closed container. 
 
 
 


I was thrilled with my purchases from the local farmer's market today.  My pea shoots were purchased from DeBerry Farm in Oakland, Md.  I found colorful carrots from Evans Knob Farm out of Bruceton, WV.    2 colors of beets, garlic, winter squash, turnips. . . I am a happy camper!

Tomorrow morning, I think I'll try an Egg in the Hole inside the remaining tortillas! 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying these tortillas today; an experiment before having company on the weekend. I make my own Roti (Trinidadian style flatbread, originating from Chapati, an East Indian flatbread). I serve them with curried chicken & potatoes. Your recipe used whole wheat pastry flour so I wanted to give it a try. Have a great day. Fran

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly