Friday, March 20, 2015

The Heat is On

This aromatic tikka recipe was inspired by Chef & RD Zach Breeding's recipe in the current issue of Food and Nutrition Magazine.  Mine is served with a side of Farro.  While the recipe clearly states that cayenne was optional, I included the spice. . . and we loved it.  Bob did have to get a beverage to drink with his meal!

Chicken Tikka

(Serves 3)

Marinate chicken in lemon juice, yogurt and garlic mixture for 20 minutes.
1-6 ounce chicken breast, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
2 ounce Greek yogurt, plain, nonfat

Sear chicken in olive oil on stovetop.
1 teaspoon olive oil

Add spices to chicken and saute for 4 minutes.
1 teaspoon coriander
1 1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/3 teaspoon cardamom
1/3 teaspoon beribera spice mix (the recipe called for garam masala which I did not have)
2/3 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon fresh grated turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Add buttery spread, onion and ginger.
2 teaspoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread
1/3 cup onion, diced
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
Saute 4 minutes.

Add tomatoes, broth and milk.
3/4 cup no added salt diced tomatoes
1/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
Cook until sauce is thick.

Farro

(Serves 3)

Cook farro in stock until water is evaporated and farro is tender (about 25 minutes)
1/3 cup farro
1 1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth


 I loved the graphic sent last night by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation titled US Farming 101.  The part I'm so adamant about is reducing food waste.  60% comes from homes and food service-most is avoidable. I was so proud in my job as manager of the Healthy Cafe that our Salvation Army partners would pickup items we could not keep (such as pizzas) and take back to their soup kitchen to serve.  At home I try to plan small portions with little leftovers, plan my meal around what I have in stock and plan for use of leftovers.  Here's today's breakfast:

 The berry, yogurt and granola parfait utilized the little bit of blueberries I had on hand and the remaining granola from my quinoa pancake breakfast this week.  The vegetable souffle and Irish soda bread were made Tuesday.  I take care of my leftovers, cooling and storing promptly, and do not keep on hand for more than 4 days.

I am so excited for the Winter Blues Farmers Market tomorrow in our hometown.  Will wait until after that to plan my menu for the week!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly