That large roasted Thanksgiving turkey can serve as many as 30 portions. Most folks look forward to a delicious turkey sandwich the day after the feast, but turkey fatigue sets in if you try and eat it all within a few days. Freezing packets of the roasted meat gives homemade turkey meals for weeks to come.
Safety Tips for Freezing Meat
- Limit the time the turkey sets at room temperature after roasting.
- Slice and chill in shallow layers and store in the refrigerator.
- Freeze in 1 or 2 meal packets.
- Only reheat once.
- Thaw in the refrigerator.
- Reheat to 165 F.
- Use within 4 days of thawing.
Creative Turkey Entrees
|Turkey Pot Pie|
Roasted turkey can be chopped and used in recipes that call for ground turkey. Just add an egg to the mixture so that it sticks together.
(Serves 2)Mix in mini food processor until turkey is ground. Form into patties.
6 ounce roasted turkey
4 baby bella mushrooms
1/3 cup fresh spinach leaves
2 tablespoon shallots
2 tablespoon oats
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Heat olive oil in a skillet on stove top. Over medium heat, cook burgers (covered) for 5 minutes. Flip and cook 5 minutes more. Test internal temperature to make sure the patties are at 165 F.
Serve on a grainy roll with tomatoes and Dijon mustard.
Grilled Turkey Sandwich
Balsamic SyrupHeat vinegar and honey to reduce to 1/2 the amount.
6 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
Spread organic buttery spread on one side of grainy bread. Place bread buttered side down onto a grill or pan. Add fresh sliced tomatoes with turkey, cheese, herbs, greens and vegetables of choice. Drizzle each with 2 teaspoon balsamic syrup. Top with the other slice of bread. Brown one side, then turn and brown the second side.
What to do with the delicious stock in the bottom of the roasting pan?
Make Turkey BouillonThe process is simple:
- Strain the broth from the bottom of the roasting pan into a clean shallow pan. I used a 9 X 14 inch cake pan with a lid.
- Refrigerate the broth overnight.
- Remove the fat layer from the top of the broth and discard. The fat rises to the top of the broth after cooling and is very easy to remove.
- Scoop the broth into clean ice cube trays and freeze overnight.
- Remove bouillon cubes from ice trays. Place in a storage container with a lid. Freeze and remove cubes as needed.
Have a great holiday!